New Orleans is 11th-oldest host city on the PGA TOUR. The New Orleans Classic tournament began in 1938. The tournament has been played annually since 1958. This year the tournament will be played from April 23rd thru April 29th 2012 at TPC Louisiana. It is the fourth venue to host the New Orleans Classic. It is sponsored by Zurich Financial Services and Fore!Kids Foundation is the host organization. Visit http://www.zurichgolfclassic.com for more information about the tournament and to get your tickets early.
Running such a large tournament requires a number of volunteers. Volunteers are needed to be Laser Operators, Driving Range Marshals, Marshal – Holes 01 to 18, Greeters, Scoring Assistants, Standard Bearers, and Walking Scorers. There are also a number of special volunteer packages available for purchase at a great price.
Some Historical Facts:
- Past courses the tournament has been played on include City Park Golf Course, Lakewood Country Club, and English Turn Golf and Country Club.
- First National Bank of Commerce (FNBC) was the tournament’s first corporate sponsor in 1975.
- The Classic’s second corporate sponsor, USF&G Insurance, dedicated 10 years of sponsorship, which helped the Classic become a major event on the PGA TOUR.
- Zurich Financial Services has been a Corporate sponsor since 2005 and is committed through the year 2014. Together with the host organization Fore!Kids it has raised nearly $8 million for more than 40 charities that serve more than 200,000 children in need throughout southeastern Louisiana.
- The Zurich Classic generates more than $30 million annually for the local economy and an additional $16 million annually in national television exposure.
- Over the four days of television coverage, the tournament is seen around the world in 114 countries.
If you’re coming into town for the Zurich Golf Classic, give us a call to arrange your transportation.